See also the ITS Knowledge Base page for details regarding various aspects of computing and training at Lycoming College.
- QuickLink on left of Lycoming web site for Information Technology: www.lycoming.edu/its
- Help Desk x4150 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7:30 am - 8:30 pm M-F, Student Help Desk during lab hours, Security at other times.
Outlook 2010 E-mail Standard
- Windows client installed on office and lab computers.
- Archive! Limited to 2 GB in live email; Archive should be on F Drive for back up.
- Web access: mail.lycoming.edu.
- Outlook functions: Calendar, Categories, Tasks, Mobile devices.
- Viruses and Spyware are filtered before coming into the campus network. Still be suspicious of attachments (.exe) and links in your messages.
- SPAM: Heuristics filter set to 5 of 10. Receive about 60,000 messages per day. Approximately 60% of incoming mail is being blocked.
Network / Internet
- Single user name/password. Password remote management and reset on IT home page.
- Cisco-based network with Firewall & Packet Shaping. Allow downloads, but lower priority than e-mail and web browsing. No limit on individual user bandwidth, monitor for student abuse.
- Personal network storage starts at 5 GB and can be increased as needed. Archive on DVD/CD/RW or thumb drive on local, lab, or common computer.
- Campus Manager: All computers must register periodically from all campus ports or wireless.
Desktop / Software Standards
- Save to “F” Drive (student “H”) ITS does not recover local C drives by policy.
- Archive on DVD, CD/RW, “thumb drive,” or external drive after exceeding F Drive Space.
- Network Printing: (No individual printers) Department charge-back. Paper supplied from Print Shop. Toner from Business Office. Networked Color printers 3X B/W rate. Poster maker - Print Shop ($1.25/sq ft.) Duplex discount.
- Windows 7/Office 2010 on all office, lab and classroom computers.
- Microsoft site license: Word, Excel, PowerPoint Access, Publisher.
- NOD32 Anti-Virus/Spyware on all College computers. MS Essentials for student PC’s.
- Microsoft Word 2010 standard for all documents.
- Internet Explorer 8/9 official support for WebAdvisor, Web mail, Portal on PC. Support Firefox, Chrome, Safari when possible.
- Outlook 2010 client for reading campus mail at email@example.com. Not supporting Third-party e-mail clients using POP nor IMAP4.
- Moodle is the standard for e-Learning.
- SPSS 20 statistics is the standard.
- Lab software must be purchased for every machine in one lab. Call Steve Caravaggio.
- Clicker software in all classrooms. Call Steve.
Moodle 2.2.3 E-Learning Standard
- Approximately 190 courses online.
- All course readings are put on Moodle
- Pilot with ePortfolios - Mahara
- One-on-One assistance. Contact Diane Salamone.
- Campus Manager registration, including mobile devices.
- 11-50 MB shared versus 100 MB dedicated.
- Academic Center: Library, Pennington Lounge classrooms, C D sections, and computer labs.
- Heim Science: All floors.
- Wertz: Burchfield lounge, Jack's Corner, Jane Shultz Banquet Room, Dining Room.
- All Residential Halls and Apartments.
- Outside Quad, Long Hall, Fine Arts &
- , Chapel, etc.
- Please report “no signal” areas in buildings
- Cycle: November for Faculty, December for Administrators, Committees Jan/Feb, Approval late April. Some lab & faculty purchases in April, bulk on July 1.
- Letter to all directors, chairs, and faculty in November.
- Think about software in labs for the next year. Policy is that all or at least a complete lab must be populated.
- Plan needs including smaller devices (experimental equipment, USB devices, etc.).
- Electronic devices, such as cell phones, etc. are blocked at the Business Office when put into supply budgets. Should be in the annual budget.
- Personal calls with TAC code.
- Voice Mail access from on and off campus.
- Use e-mail first (Student required to read College e-mail per Student Handbook). Student cell phones are often long distance.
- Student cell number collected during Registration
- Conference phone by request and multi-party.
- Calling cards available for travel.
- VOIP phone system – phone & VM guides online.
- Labs: 4 Windows 7, 1 Mixed Graphics Lab with Macintosh. 1 Digital Media Lab with only Macintosh. Both running “Lion” OS.
- All labs accept "thumb drives."
- Proxy Server for Library Database off campus.
- Minimum of 30 days to get new software loaded in labs for testing and “reimaging” systems.
- NEW - Turningpoint “Clickers” available for class
- Call Steve Caravaggio in Computer Center to schedule labs for classes. Schedule posted in Academic Computing section of web site.
- Dell Laptop Initiative: see IT web site. 12% disc.
- AICUP: Microsoft purchases for employees and students. www.selectstudent.com
- Verizon 18% cell phone discount plan for personal use in 570 area code.
- User Interface - Windows client link into Administrative Data, such as purchase orders.
- WebAdvisor - Web link into Administrative Data.
- Submitting grades, Degree Audit, Rosters, Payroll Timesheet Entry.
- Student Locator, Personnel Info, Work Order Requests, Dept budgets, etc.
- Budget Office rules under Treasurer's Office.
- Orientation: E-mail (500 MB), Webadvisor, network space, password reset, policies.
- ResNet 19th year. Self-install. Technology Fee required.
- Campus Manager: user authentication, bandwidth management, Windows updates, MS Essentials Anti-virus/spyware mandatory.
- Printing/copying $30 credit/semester. Color 3X rate. $.06/print. Duplex discounts. Computers on ResNet not charged for local printing.
- Labs: Requires login, network space automatically available, systems secured.
- 200MB network space after logging in. Backed up nightly.
- WebAdvisor : Grades seen immediately, Financial aid, Degree Audit, Room assignments, Class Schedule (no longer handed out), Freshman Orientation, etc.
- Packetshaper: P2P, Bandwidth, and Virus violations.
- Most classrooms are equipped with permanent projectors.
- Media Services: 7 days to schedule Mobile Equipment.
- Overheads, screens, and network connections in every classroom.
- Make mobile TV requests from Media Services: see web site for live cable locations. Most classrooms project video instead of having TV’s.
- Facility schedule is an online form and link under Campus Calendar.
- Content change requests to Elizabeth Rhoads. News write-ups to Public Relations.
- Design requests to Robert “Spyke” Krepshaw, Web Designer. Programs new templates, menu features, and new functions.
- Cascade for users to change content on defined pages. Changing this year to a new content management system.
- myLyco portal for internal documents and collaborative workgroups. Link on top banner.
- Edit personal pages with site license for Microsoft Sharepoint Designer. Files located in F Drive. Example: www.lycoming.edu/~userID