Winter Break 2013
All campus residences (halls, apartments, and The Commons) close for fall 2013 Friday, December 13th, at 6:00pm and re-open for spring 2014 Sunday, January 5th at 10:00am
Important to note:
- Only students who have been granted permission to stay on campus during Winter Break or who have been granted permission to return early may be on campus during the break.
- Unless a student has been granted permission to stay on campus for Winter Break, s/he is required to leave campus within 24 hours of her/his last final exam, Monday through Thursday.
- Students who have a final scheduled on Friday, December 13 must request permission to stay after 6:00pm closing but are expected to leave campus no later than 9am on Saturday, December 14.
- With the exception of students who are members of a winter sport athletic team, any student who needs to be on campus for any portion of Winter Break is required to submit a request for Winter Break housing no later than 4:30pm on Friday, December 6th.
- All students who are approved for Winter Break housing for personal reasons will be charged a room fee (2013-2014 charge is $34 per night) with the exception of International students, student-athletes (Winter sports), and students working on-campus jobs over the break.
- All housing (except where residents have permission to remain on campus) is checked by staff to insure that proper check-out procedures have been followed. Failure to complete any/all of the steps listed below and/or failure to obtain permission to remain on campus will result in a minimum $25 fine.
WINTER BREAK PROCEDURES
If you have any questions, concerns or need clarification on any policy or procedure, please don't hesitate to contact your RA, SLC, House Manager or the Office of Residential Life.
Students Who Are Approved To Stay On Campus During Winter Break 2013
Break housing is a priviledge and students who are approved to remain on campus are expected to abide by all College and Residential Life policies during the break. Please also note the information below.
- Residential Life student staff (RAs) are NOT on duty during break.
- The Dining Hall will close after lunch on December 13th and is closed for the entire break and will re-open with dinner on January 5th. There is NO meal plan service during this time.
- The Office of Safety & Security is open 24/7 during the entire break, however, other College offices (including Residential Life) are officially closed December 23, 24, 25, 26, 31 and January 1.
- For any emergencies or facility issues on those days residents will need to contact the Office of Safety & Security at (570) 321-4064/4911. On-line work requests should not be submitted for any housing issues during the week(s) of December 23, 2013 - January 2, 2014.
- Break housing residents are permitted to have only break housing residents as guests in their rooms and buildings; they may not have any overnight guests.
Students Who Are Leaving Campus For Break & Returning For Spring 2014
To protect campus residences and property from fire, theft, pest infestation, and any other damage, all residents should do the following before leaving campus:
- Store all food in sealed plastic or metal containers.
- Clean the residence and empty all trash.
- Unplug all electrical items. In other words, there should be nothing plugged into any outlet in a residence including power strips.
- Residence hall residents need to empty, defrost, and unplug refrigerators and leave the door open to avoid mildew.
- Apartment and Commons residents need to throw away perishable items but do NOT need to unplug their "College provided" refrigerator or remove items in the freezer. However, any additional units must be emptied, defrosted and unplugged and the door left open. Note: the College does not take responsibility for plants or fish left in student residences over any break.
- Turn off all lights.
- Close and lock all windows.
- Pull the window shade(s) up/down halfway.
- Lock all doors.
- Move your vehicle to a student parking lot if you plan to leave it on campus during the break.
Students Who Are Not Returning To Campus For Spring 2014
Check-outs for non-returning students must be completed by FRIDAY, DECEMBER 13th at 6:00pm.
Students who know when they leave for break that they are not returning to the College next semester must do the following:
- Complete an Express Check-out form (available in the Offices of Residential Life and Safety & Security) or schedule a check-out appointment with an RA/SLC 24 hours in advance of the time you plan to leave campus.
- Clean your campus residence and make sure all College furniture is in place.
- Return any College issued key(s) to the Residential Life staff or the Office of Safety & Security with the appropriate paperwork at time of check out.
WINTER BREAK HOUSING REQUESTS
- WINTER BREAK HOUSING REQUESTS VIA THE ON-LINE FORM WERE DUE BY 8:00AM ON MONDAY DECEMBER 9. If you need Winter Break Housing after 6:00pm closing on December 13 or prior to opening on January 5 at 10:00am must now e-mail Reslife your request.
- Submission of a request does not guarantee approval.
- Residents who are approved to stay will be notified via campus e-mail.
- If you are approved for Winter Break Housing for personal reasons, a daily charge (2013-2014 charge is $34 per night) will be posted to your student account.
- Failure to obtain permission to remain on campus will be considered an Improper Closing and will result in a $25 fine.