001.jpg

This volume
of
THE CHRONICLE
is dedicated to
the glory of God
and in memory of

Monroe Julius Shearer, Sr.
and
Edith Diehl Shearer

 

Devoted compassionate Christians,
committed and untiring
parents, parsonage family and friends
who modeled Jesus the Christ

 

COVER PHOTOGRAPH: Bishop Francis Asbury (1745-18160. Portrait by John Paradise at New York,
1812. From the steel engraving by B. Tanner, 1814.

 

THE CHRONICLE   is published by the Historical Society of the Central Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church,

PO Box 2053, Mechanicsburg PA 17044.

 

 

THE CHRONICLE

 

Journal of the Historical Society

of the

Central Pennsylvania Conference

of the

United Methodist Church

 

Milton W. Loyer

editor

 

.

Volume XIV                                                                                             spring 2003

                                           Editor's Preface ........................................................................................…...........2

 

       Dedication: Monroe and Edith Shearer..................................…..........….....……..3

 

                                           Early Central Pennsylvania Methodism:

       from Whitefield to Asbury………………………………………………....……..4

by Charles Berkheimer, 1968

 

       Rev. Jacob Aurandt and the Tuscarora Circuit…………………………..……....51

from manuscripts supplied by Stewart Bingman, 2002

 

       One Family’s Life in Post-Civil War Central Pennsylvania…………….………63

by Milton Loyer, 2002

 

       Central Pennsylvania Women in the Ordained Ministry:

       A Pre-United Methodist Survey………….…………………………………….…89

by Clair Troutman and Francis Geiger, 1980

 

 

 

inside back cover:

    This volume of THE CHRONICLE

has been made possible

by sponsoring gifts

from the following members

of the Historical Society.

 

 

FRIENDS

Stewart F. Bingman, Mechanicsburg

Bruce D. Gearhart, Dillsburg

Judith Hill, Harrisburg

Robert and Jean Stokes, Hummelstown

Clair and Rosella Troutman, McAlisterville

 

SPONSORS

Milton and Sandra Loyer, Mechanicsburg

John F. Piper, Williamsport

 

PATRONS

Dora E. Loyer, Lancaster

Robert O’Hara, Lemoyne

 

BENEFACTORS

Family and friends of Monroe and Edith Shearer

 


 

 

Back cover:

 

002.jpg