CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties.  Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


MONTOUR COUNTY PA


1. Danville St. Paul's Emmanuel United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\montour\danville_stpaul.jpg

Address: 305 Pine Street, Danville 17821
Municipality:
borough of Danville
County:
Montour
State:
PA

Directions: Us 11 is the main east-west rout through Danville, and PA 54 is the main north-south route through Danville.  Pine Street is parallel to and 5 blocks east of PA 54.  From the intersection of PA 54 and US 11, go 5 blocks east (towards Bloomsburg) on US 11 to Pine Street and then 5 blocks south (toward the Susquehanna River) on Pine Street.  The church is on the corner of Pine and Mahoning Streets, and actually faces Mahoning Street.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The old Northumberland circuit, created in 1791, brought regular Methodist preaching into Danville-Riverside area homes.  A simple brick structure was dedicated in Danville on November 10, 1839, on a lot (which later became the site of the junior high school) conveyed by General Daniel Montgomery.  A new and larger building was dedicated on Mahoning Street on July 22, 1849.  The building was known as the Mahoning Street Church, and it hosted the first (1869) session of the newly-formed Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and it was at that time the name was changed to St. Paul's.  The stone front and towers were added to the building in 1900.  In 1969 the congregation received the members of the former Emmanuel EUB Church on Front Street and became St. Pauls Emmanuel United Methodist Church.


2. Danville Trinity Emmanuel United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\montour\danville_trinity.jpg

Address: 306 Lombard Avenue, Danville 17821
Municipality:
borough of Danville
County:
Montour
State:
PA

Directions: From the intersection of PA 54 and US 11, go 4 blocks east (towards Bloomsburg) on US 11 to the Y.  Leave US 11 and bear left onto Bloom Street and go approximately 1 mile to Lombard Avenue.  Turn left on Lombard Avenue and go 3 blocks.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: Trinity is a daughter congregation of St. Paul's and was formed in 1868 to service the rapidly growing north section of Danville.  A frame school building on the corner of what is now Vine and Center Streets was secured for the purpose of public worship and Sunday School.  The following year a small chapel on Welsh Hill was secured and "Welsh Hill burst forth into a revival revival ― the most stirring in the history of Danville."  The increase in membership was numerous, and a large building that was to serve the congregation for over 100 years was dedicated July 4, 1869, tat the corner of Perry and E. Center Streets.  A new building was erected in the northwest corner of the borough in 1972, and a large wing added to the structure in 2002.


3. Hendrickson United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\montour\hendrickson.jpg

Address: 250 Cameltown Hill Road, Danville 17821
Municipality:
Valley township
County:
Montour
State:
PA

Directions: The church is north of Danville.  Cameltown Hill Road runs parallel to and a few miles east of PA 54.  Go north from the Intersection of PA 54 and I-80 100 yards to the first cross road - Valley Road to the left and McCracken Road to the right. Turn right on McCracken Road and go 0.5 miles to Cameltown Hill Road (the second road to the left).  Turn left on Cameltown Hill Road and go 1.5 miles.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History: The Hendrickson church building was erected in 1870 on ground deeded for that purpose by Miss Jane Britain.  and designated as "Zion Church of Valley Grove."  While the deed was dated March 15, 1852, it appears that the congregation was slow to build ― and they worshiped in the nearby Hendrickson one-room school house until the church was completed.  Following the custom of the day, this structure had two front doors and separate seating for the men and women.  The congregation was part of the now-defunct Washingtonville circuit until 1924 and then the Montandon circuit until 1969, before becoming a two-point charge with Mooresburg.   Over the years the building was given a single front entrance, a Sunday School/social annex was constructed , and a front narhtex was added.  Other more resent improvements include the following:
1960: A small basement was added, and a furnace replaced the pot-bellied stoves.
1984: A septic system and indoor plumbing was added.
1993: The narthex was remodeled, eliminating the front windows and creating a ground level entrance by bringing the steps into the building.


4. Mooresburg United Methodist Church

Description: X:\image\open_churches\montour\morresburg.jpg

Address: 7 Sholes Road, Mooresburg 17821
Municipality:
Liberty township
County:
Montour
State:
PA

Directions: The church is northwest of Danville off of PA 642, just north of the village of Mooresburg.  Sholes Road crosses PA 642 4 miles west of PA 54.  Turn right on Sholes Road and go 100 yards.  Sholes Road is named for the family of Christopher Sholes, the inventor of the typewriter, born near here February 14, 1819.

Historic Conference: Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:  The Mooresburg congregation was formed in 1834, and a stone church building erected the following year.  In 1882 the old stone building was removed and replaced by the present frame structure.  The congregation was part of the now-defunct Washingtonville circuit until 1886 and then the Montandon circuit until 1969, before becoming a two-point charge with Hendrickson.