CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties. Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


POTTER COUNTY PA


1. Austin United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\austin.jpg

Address: 25 Turner Street
Municipality:
borough of Austin
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
Austin is on PA 872, 9 miles south of Coudersport. Turner Street goes north off Main Street [PA 607], two blocks west of the intersection with PA 872.

Historic Conference:
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
This congregation began as an appointment on the Wharton circuit which consisted of Austin, Costello, Nelson Run, Wharton, Moores schoolhouse, and Williams schoolhouse. The first church building was erected in 1888 and destroyed by fire, along with the parsonage, in October 1897. A second church and parsonage were dedicated in October 1898 and destroyed in the September 1911 flood. The present church building was dedicated in February 1913.


2. Costello United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\costello.jpg

Address: Church Street, village of Costello
Municipality:
Portage township
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
Costello is on PA 872, 3 miles south of Austin [i.e., 12 miles south of Coudersport]. Church Street is parallel to and 2 blocks west of PA 872.

Historic Conference:
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
The church building in Costello was erected in 1890. Except for the years 1894-1909, during which time it was a station appointment with its own parsonage, the appointment has always been associated with Austin.


3. Coudersport Park United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\codersport_park.jpg

Address: 15 East Third Street
Municipality:
borough of Coudersport
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
Coudersport is on US 6, which is East Second Street. East Third Street is parallel to one block north of US 6 in the east end of town. The church is block east of Main Street [PA 44 heading north].

Historic Conference:
Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
Regular Methodist preaching began in 1831 in Lymansville [now called Ladona, the intersection east of Coudersport of US 6 and PA 872] and later moved into Coudersport meeting in public buildings, taverns, and private homes until the old stone court house was erected in 1835. The congregation met in that structure until erecting its first church building in 1855. In 1893 adjacent land was purchased to enlarge the property for the erection of a new building. The old building was moved to the corner of East and Fourth Streets, where the parsonage now stands, and used until the present church building was dedicated in March 1894. The educational unit was added in 1982.


4. Fishing Creek United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\fishing_creek.jpg

Address: 1003 West Branch Fishing Creek Road
Municipality:
Clara township
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
From Coudersport, go 6 miles west on US 6 to the west end of Roulette. Turn north onto Fishing Creek Road and go 1 mile to the Y. Bear left onto West Branch Fishing Creek Road and go 2.5 miles. The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
This building was erected in 1899. Major league baseball all-star Don Hoak is buried in the cemetery across the road.


5. Genesee United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\genesee.jpg

Address: 306 Main Street
Municipality:
Genesee township
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
From Coudersport, go 15 miles east on US 6 to PA 449, then go 15 miles north on PA 449 to the village of Genesee on the border with New York state. Main street is PA PA 449. The church is on the right, across from the town library.

Historic Conference:
Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
Methodist services began here in 1858, with local preachers from nearby larger towns serving on an irregular basis. Regular preaching began in 1872, meeting in the school house. The first church building was erected at the present site in 1892 and destroyed by fire in February 1903. The present structure dedicated one year later, in February 1904. In 1926 the congregation purchased the two-story building south of the church for use as a social hall. In 1965 the social hall was razed and the present educational unit was added.
Historically, Genesee was always linked with congregations in New York state. Prior to the 1962 realignment of conferences along state lines, the Genesee charge had a parsonage and church in Genesee PA and churches in Stannnards and Shongo NY. Since 1962 Genesee was a two-point charge with North Bingham (1962-69) and an awkward four point charge with North Bingham, North Fork and Brookfield (1969-71) before being placed with Ulysses. Various forms of that arrangement have served the congregation ever since.


 6. Keating Summit United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\keating_summit.jpg

Address: PA 607, village of Keating Summit
Municipality:
Keating township
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
From Austin, go 6 miles west on PA 607. The church is on the left, just before the intersection with PA 155.

Historic Conference:
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
This building was erected by the United Brethren denomination in 1886 and dedicated by Bishop Weaver in 1887. It became Methodist Episcopal in 1900. Once the appointment was the home point on a charge with Odin and churches in Cameron County (Sizerville) and McKean County (Gardeau and Wrights) and had a parsonage that was built in 1902. Keating Summit has been served in connection with Austin and/or Costello since 1920.


7. Roulette Riverside United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\roulette.jpg

Address: 30 River Street
Municipality:
Roulette township
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
Roulette is off US 6, 9 miles west of Coudersport. Bear to the south onto Main Street [old US 6]. River Street crosses Main Street at the center of town. Tuen south onto River Street and go mile. The church is on the right, just before crossing the Allegheny River.

Historic Conference:
Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
While a Union Church open to all denominations was erected on the south side of Main Street in 1882, a Methodist class there was not organized there until 1891. In 1896 the Union Church became the property of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1904 the old parsonage was sold and a new one erected beside the church. In June 1908, the church was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. The congregation held Sunday School and church in the parsonage until present church was erected by the river in 1911.

 


8. Sweden Valley Faith Community United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\sweden_valley.jpg

 

Address: US 6, village of Sweden Valley
Municipality: Sweden township
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
The village of Sweden Valley is on US 6, 4 miles east of Coudersport. The church is just east of the village, on the south side of the highway.

Historic Conference:
Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
Methodist preaching began here in 1880. This church building was dedicated June 20, 1884, and originally stood in the village. In 1984 the structure was moved mile east to its present location. The congregation adopted its present name in 1999 when it received the members of the former United Brethren congregation in Sweden Valley.


9. Ulysses United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: X:\image\open_churches\potter\ulysses.jpg

Address: 409 North Street
Municipality:
borough of Ulysses
County:
Potter
State:
PA

Directions:
Ulysses is on PA 49, 18 miles northeast of Coudersport. This section of North Street, block west of Main Street, is part of PA 49.

Historic Conference:
Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
Methodist preaching began here in 1842, the people worshiping first in homes and later in the newly-erected Baptist Church. In 1869 the Methodists erected their own building on the corner opposite the Baptist Church. That structure was sold to the Free Methodists in 1895 when the congregation erected its present sanctuary on the corner of North and Water Streets.