CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties.  Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


SUSQUEHANNA COUNTY PA


1. Brooklyn United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\image003.jpg

Address: village of Brooklyn
Municipality:
Brooklyn township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the borough of Hop Bottom on US 11, go 4 miles northwest on PA 167 to the village of Brooklyn.  Turn left at the cross roads and go 200 yards.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This township was formed in 1814 and was named Waterford 1814-1823 and Hop Bottom 1823-25 before being named Brooklyn in 1825.  This Methodist class here (which also went through name changes along with the township) is one of the oldest classes in the county, having been organized in 1801 by preachers Ephraim Chambers and Anning Owen of the Wyoming circuit.  The church building erected by the congregation in 1813 was the first in the township of any denomination.  This structure was torn down in 1830 and a new one erected in 1831.  Brooklyn hosted the 1853 annual sessions of the Wyoming Conference.  This building is still owned by the United Methodists, who have a service there once a year, but is rented to the Baptists for the holding of regular services.


2. Clifford United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\image005.jpg

Address: PA 106, village of Clifford
Municipality:
Clifford township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the interchange of I-81 with PA 106, go 6 miles southeast on PA 106 to the village of Clifford.  The church is in the south end of the village, 0.1 miles past the main cross roads, on the east side of the highway.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This class worshiped for some time in the school house, and later in the 1830 Baptist church.  In 1867 the society purchased ˝ interest in the 1852 union church, the Universalists owning the other half.  The first Methodist Episcopal building was dedicated November 22, 1882.


3. Dimock Christian Community United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Dimock.jpg

Location: village of Dimock
Municipality: Dimock township
County:
Susquehanna
State:
PA

Directions: 
     The church is on the road to Hop Bottom, one block south and one block east of the main intersection.   

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     There was a regular Dimock appointment on the Fairdale charge, but it was dropped in 1869.  A new class was organized in 1875.  They met in the 1871 Presbyterian church 1876-86, and the school building 1886-90.  In 1890 they purchased and thoroughly refitted the Presbyterian building.


4. East Ararat United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\East Ararat.jpg

Address: PA 370, community of East Ararat
Municipality:
Ararat township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the borough of Thompson, go 7 miles south on PA 171 to PA 370.  Go east on PA 370 0.5 miles to the first intersection.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This class was formed about 1830 as part of Lanesboro circuit.  After meeting in school houses for a number of years, the congregation erected its first building in 1874.


5. East Rush United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\East Rush.jpg

Address: county route 3027
Municipality: Rush township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the village of Rush on PA 706, go 4 miles east on highway 3023 to East Rush and highway 3017.  Go north 0.5 miles on highway 3027.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This community was originally known as Eddy, and the appointments appears as such in the earl records.  The first church was erected here about 1859 and burned in 1887.  The present church was dedicated December 27, 1888.  This church was on the Auburn charge until 1892, and has been on the Rush change since then.


6. Fairdale United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Fairedale.jpg

Address: PA 706, village of Fairdale
Municipality: Jessup township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is on South Mountain Road, at its intersection with PA 706.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This class originally met in a meeting house of uncertain date and origin.  The present building was dedicated November 26, 1858.


7. Forest City Centennial United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Forest City.jpg

Address: 61 Dundaff Street
Municipality:
borough of Forest City
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
     Dundaff Street is PA 247.  The church is on the southwest corner of the intersection of PA 171 and PA 247 heading west.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Regular Methodist preaching services in Forest City were began in 1881 by the preacher from Union Dale.  The Methodist church building was dedicated November 17, 1886.


8. Franklin Forks United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Franklin Forks.jpg

Address: village of Franklin Forks
Municipality:
Franklin township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is on the road to Salt Springs State Park, one block west of PA 29.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This class was formed in 1804 – with meetings held monthly, usually on weekdays.  Services were held for many years in the school house.  A 32x50 foot church building was erected and dedicated in 1871, with a bell tower added in 1898.


9. Gibson United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Gibson.jpg

Address: Church Road
Municipality:
Gibson township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the interchange of I-81 and PA 547, go 2 miles on PA 547 to the village of Gibson.  As you enter the village, before the intersection with PA 848, turn right at the cemetery onto Church Road and to 100 yards.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
 Methodist preaching in this area is believed to have begun in 1806.  A class was organized in 1812, and a church building was erected on Kennedy Hill in 1837.  A new building was dedicated June 3, 1869, in Gibson.  This was accomplished through the zeal and generosity of Judge Urbane Burrows, and the community was actually known at that time as Burrows’ Hollow.  The old Kennedy Hill building was sold to the South Gibson class and removed to that location.


10. Great Bend Community United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Great Bend.jpg

Address: 406 Main Street
Municipality:
borough of Great Bend
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Main Street is US 11.  From the interchange of I-81 and PA 171, go 0.1 miles west on PA 171 to US 11.  Go north on US 11 for ˝ mile.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Tradition indicates there was a Methodist presence here as early as 1799.  The society grew slowly, and the first church building was not erected until 1854.  A rebuilt and enlarged version of that original structure was dedicated September 21, 1870.  That building was struck by lightning and burned down on November 18, 1871.  A new building was erected on the same site and dedicated March 13, 1873.


11. Hop Bottom United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Hop Bottom.jpg

Address: South Center Street
Municipality:
borough of Hop Bottom
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The borough of Hop Bottom is on US 11.  In the borough of Hop Bottom, turn west off US 11 onto PA 167 and go one block to Center Street (old US 11).  Turn south on Center Street and go one block.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
   
 For many years this church was known as Foster, after the name of the railroad station; but eventually it became known as Hop Bottom, after the name of the post office.  The class is the outgrowth of an appointment established at the Anthony Wright home about one mile north of the village.  In 1849 a Sunday School was organized.  In 1850 an acre of the farm was set aside, and a small frame building was moved to the site and fitted up for church purposes.  This land is the present Lathrop Cemetery.  When increasing membership necessitated a larger facility, services were held in various homes and locations until a 35x50 foot building was dedicated in the nearby area December 15, 1870.  Finally it was decided that the church should be in the central part of the village.  The old church was torn down and a new building at the present site was dedicated January 26, 1890.   In October 1895 the church and several other buildings in town were destroyed by a large fire.  The present building was dedicated March 3, 1896.


12. Kingsley United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Kingsley.jpg

Address: village of Kingsley
Municipality:
Harford township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The village of Kingsley is on US 11, 6 miles north of the borough of Hop Bottom.  In the village of Kingsley, turn west at the main intersection, where PA 106 goes off to the east.  Go ˝ mile (around a curve to the right).  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
For many years the Universalists were the only active religious body in the community.  After some time, those who wanted other preaching invited the Methodist pastor from Harford to hold services twice a week in the schoolhouse.  Conversions resulted, and a class was formed.  A Methodist church building was dedicated in Kingsley March 31, 1898.


13. Lenoxville United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Lenoxville.jpg

Address: PA 374, village of Lenoxville
Municipality:
Lenox township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the interchange of I-81 and PA 374, go 2 miles east on PA 374.  The church is on the right, as you enter the village of Lenoxville.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This class was organized 1847-48 and began meeting in a school house.  The church building was dedicated December 20, 1866.


14. Little Meadows United Methodist Church [Upper New York Conference]

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Little Meadows.jpg

Address: PA 858
Municipality:
borough of Little Meadows
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is on the east side of PA 858, at the north end of town.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Methodist preaching supposedly began here about 1809, and the first church building was erected in 1844.  Historically, the church has been served by circuits that were based in New York and also included points in Warren township, Bradford County PA.


15. Montrose United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Montrose.jpg

Address: 526 Church Street
Municipality:
borough of Montrose
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Church Street is PA 29 in the north part of Montrose.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This class was formed in 1841 by uniting two earlier classes: one from South Montrose, and one which met in a school house about 1.5 miles north of town.  They worshiped in the old courthouse, where they had preaching and class meeting every two weeks, holding the prayer meetings in private homes.  The first church building was dedicated November 26, 1845. It was a plain building 38x50 feet, with two outside doors and no steeple.  The present larger structure on the same site was dedicated May 16, 1875.


16. New Milford United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\New Milford.jpg

Address: Pratt and Church Streets
Municipality:
borough of New Milford
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
     The borough of New Milford is on US 11.  From the interchange of I-81 and PA 492, go ˝ mile east on PA 492 to US 11.  Go north on US 11 one block to Pratt Street.  Go one block east on Pratt Street to Church Street.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
   
 This class was formed in 1827.  The first building, pictured above at the right, was dedicated December 25, 1849.  It originally stood at the foot of the hill where Jackson Road leaves town, but it was moved by oxen to its present location and placed over a basement in 1886 [some sources say in 1884].  The old building is now used for Sunday school and storage, as the recent addition ay the left houses the main sanctuary and other church facilities.


17. North Jackson United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\North Jackson.jpg

Address: Deer Ridge Road (county route 1006)
Municipality:
Jackson township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the borough of Susquehanna, go 6 miles south on PA 92 to Deer Ridge Road.  Turn east on Deer Ridge Road and go 0.2 miles.  The church is on the left.  The church is plainly visible from PA 92.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This class was organized in 1834.  The first meetings were held in No. 1 school house.  The church building was dedicated December 22, 1859.


18. Retta United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Retta.jpg

Address: village of Retta
Municipality:
Auburn township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the village of Rushboro on PA 267, go 2 miles east to the village of Retta.  Continue through the intersection.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This appointment was originally known as Cartertown.  The church building was dedicated in January 1902.


19. Rush United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Rush.jpg

Address: PA 706, village of Rush
Municipality:
Rush township
County: Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
  
  The church is on the south side of the highways, just east of the road to East Rush.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This community is also known as Rush Center.  The society here worshiped in the school house until their first church building was dedicated February 23, 1871.  The present building was erected in 1901.


20. South Auburn United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\South Auburn.jpg

Address: village of South Auburn
Municipality:
Auburn township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From US 6 at Meshoppen, go 1 mile north on PA 267.  Bear left on to Rattlesnake Hill Road (at the sign for South Auburn), and follow the main road for 4 miles to the village of South Auburn.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The first church building here was erected in 1848.


21. South Gibson United Methodist Church

Address: village of South Gibson
Municipality:
Gibson township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the interchange of I-81 and PA 92, go 3 miles east on PA 92 to the village of South Gibson.  In the midst of the village, turn south and go 100 yards, just across the creek.  The church is off to the right.

Historic Conference:
    Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This class was formed in 1838.  The met in the school house until problems arose with the Freewill Baptists, with whom they alternated use of the building.  As a consequence, a separate Methodist building was dedicated in January 1841 on the lot now used as a cemetery.  The present building, essentially a reconstruction of the old Kennedy Hill structure [see the section on the Gibson UM Church], was dedicated June 29, 1870.


22. South Montrose Community United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\South Montrose.jpg

Address: route 29, village of South Montrose
Municipality: Bridgewater township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is on the west side of the highway, just south of the main intersection.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     


23. Springville United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Springville.jpg

Address: village of Springville
Municipality:
Springville township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is on the road to Auburn Center, one block west of the main intersection.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This class was organized in 1816.  Services were held in private homes and an old log school house, and then discontinued for a few years before a revival re-awakened the community.  The class secured and remodeled a vacant storehouse, dedicating it as a church on November 22, 1865.  The current site was purchased in 1890, and the present building was dedicated May 10, 1893.


24. Susquehanna United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Susquehanna.jpg

Address: East Main Street
Municipality:
borough of Susquehanna
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
     East Main Street is PA 171.  The church is 2 blocks east of the bridge over the Susquehanna, on the north side of the road, just as PA 171 makes a turn to the left.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The town of Susquehanna began to grow rapidly in 1850, being the home of the shops for Erie Railroad.  A class on the Lanesboro circuit was organized here at that time, with meetings first in the Pine Street school house and later in the Washington Street school house.  A church building was dedicated February 2, 1852, on a site secured from the Erie Railroad.  In 1859 the building was enlarged and improved, and in 1862 a steel composition bell weighing 1000 pounds was installed in the belfry.  The congregation hosted the 1863 annual sessions of the Wyoming Conference.


25. Thompson United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Thompson.jpg

Address: Main Street, town of Thompson
Municipality: Thompson township
County:
Susquehanna County
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Main Street is PA 171.  The church is on the northwest corner of Jackson and Main Streets.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The first building was erected on the road to Starrucca, at the rear of the present property.


26. Union Dale United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: X:\open_churches\susquehanna_files\susquehanna_files\Union Dale.jpg

Location: Skyline Drive
Municipality: borough of Union Dale
County:
Susquehanna
State:
PA

Directions:     
     The borough of Union Dale is on PA 171, 5 miles north of Forest City.  Skyline Drive is the first road north of the reservoir, where PA 171 has a grass median. Turn west on Skyline Drive and go one block.  The church is on the north side of the road.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     There was Methodist preaching in Union Dale as early as 1850, but the appointment lasted only a few years.  A struggling class was formed in 1876 that met in a school house.  In 1879 the society purchased the school house, moved it to a new location, and fitted it for worship.  Revival followed, and the class began to grow.  A lot was purchased on which to erect a more substantial building, and the present structure was dedicated January 21, 1891.