CHURCHES WITHIN THE PRESENT BOUNDARIES OF THE

SUSQUEHANNA CONFERENCE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

The information for each church is arranged in alphabetical order within counties.  Select a county.

 

 Adams | Bedford | Blair | Bradford | Centre | Clearfield | Clinton | Columbia | Cumberland | Dauphin | Franklin | Fulton | Huntingdon| Juniata | Lackawanna | Luzerne | Lycoming | Mifflin | Montour | Northumberland | Perry | Pike | Potter | Schuylkill | Snyder | Sullivan | Susquehanna | Tioga | Union | Wayne | Wyoming | York

Home

 


WYOMING COUNTY PA


1. Bethel United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: bethel2

Address: Falls Road
Municipality:
Falls township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The village of Falls is on the west side of the Susquehanna, just south of where PA 92 crosses the river.  From the village of Falls, go 2 miles east on Falls Road.  The church is on the right, at the intersection where Falls Road bears left and Crooked Lane goes straight ahead.

Historic Conference:
    
Central Pennsylvania Conference of the Evangelical Church

Brief History:
    
This building was erected by the Evangelical Association in 1880 and known as the Swartwood Church.  The structure was sold in 1887 and became a Presbyterian Church for several years.  In 1919 it was re-opened as a United Evangelical Church on the Ransom charge.  In the 1970 conference re-alignment, the Ransom-Bethel charge was transferred to the Wyoming Conference of the United Methodist Church.


2. Center Moreland United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Desktop\CenterMoreland.JPG

Address: Creamery Road, village of Center Moreland
Municipality:
North Moreland township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
     The village of Center Moreland is south on PA 292, which connects PA 29 to PA 92 south of Tunkhannock.  The church is on Creamery Road, in the north end of the village.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The first church building was built and dedicated in 1829.  Having been outdated and no longer used for worship, that structure was sold and removed in 1904, to be used as an elementary school.  That same building, along with two acres of land, was re-purchased by the congregation in 1956 and is now used for Sunday School.  The present church building was erected in 1870.


3. East Lemon United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: east_lemon2

Address:
Avery Station Road, village of Least Lemon
Municipality:
Lemon township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is on Avery Station Road, 2 blocks west of PA 92.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
When this building was erected in 1871, it was said to be the largest church building in Wyoming County.  The congregation developed from the Stark appointment, just east of East Lemon, which existed since about 1806 and which once had a building by the Starkville cemetery.  Regular services here were discontinued from 1996 to 2000, but the congregation has since experienced a renewal of ministry. It is presently on a charge with Lemon and West Nicholson.


4. Eatonville United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: eatonville
Address:
Church Road, village of Eatonville
Municipality:
Eaton township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From Tunkhannock, go south 2 miles on PA 29 to Keelersburg Road.  Go east 0.5 miles on Keelersburg Road to Church Road.  Go south on Church Road 0.5 miles.  The church is on the left.  Note: The bridge on Church Drive that connects Eatonville directly with PA 29 is no longer operational.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This church building was dedicated September 12, 1881.  A parsonage was erected in 1895, but Eatonville and the outlying appointments did not prove strong enough to remain a full-time circuit. It is presently on a charge with the Evans Falls church.


5. Evans Falls United Methodist Church

 

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: evans_falls

Address: PA 29, community of Evans Falls
Municipality:
Monroe township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The community of Evans Falls is on PA 29, 7 miles south of Tunkhannock.  The church is on the east side of PA 29, between the highway and Bowmans Creek.

Historic Conference: Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
This congregation first appears in the records in 1948, page 907: “The church building at Evans Falls is not new, but the work of preaching and carrying on the program of an active church is new.  With the help of the pastors of the vicinity, a survey was made and Edgar Brill, graduate of Wyoming Seminary, began the work.  In the fall, when he left for further education, Charles Collins, district president of the Youth Fellowship and ministerial student at Wilkes College, took up the work.” It is presently o a charge with the Eatonville church.


6. Factoryville United Methodist Church

Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2012-10-01\001.jpg

Address: 162 College Avenue
Municipality:
borough of Factoryville
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
     College Avenue is the old U.S. 11 and runs parallel to and 2 blocks south of present U.S. Rts. 6 and 11.  The church is in the west end of town.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     Meetings were held in private homes and the school house for about 30 years before the first church building was erected in 1854.  That structure was rebuilt and enlarged in 1878.  In 1889 the old church was converted into Sunday School facilities, and a new sanctuary was added to the complex.  In 1899 a pipe organ was added, accommodated by an annex erected to the rear of the pulpit.  This congregation has the distinction of having had direct descendants of Charles Wesley as members of the church, with some of them buried in the Factoryville cemetery. It is presently on a charge with the Dalton church.


7. Falls United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: falls

Address: Buttermilk Road
Municipality:
Falls township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
     From Rt. 92 at the stop sign on the east side of the bridge over the Susquehanna, go 0.5 miles south on Falls Road to Buttermilk Road.  Turn left onto Buttermilk Road and go 0.5 miles.  The church is on the left, across from the township building.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The first Methodist preachers in this area held services at Keeler’s Ferry as early as 1810.  In 1813 a camp meeting was held on the nearby farm of Abraham Holmes.  A revival in 1866 led to the erection of the church building, which was dedicated July 15, 1872. It is presently on a charge with the Lake Winola church.


8. Forkston United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: forkston

Address: village of Forkston
Municipality: Forkston township
County: Wyoming
State: PA

Directions:
     The village of Forkston is 0.5 miles south of PA 87 at the township park, and then go 0.5 miles east to the church.

Historic Conference:
     Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     In 1850 the congregation which had been meeting in the school house for about five years applied for admission to the Methodist Episcopal Church.  A church building was erected in 1854 and enlarged in 1871. It is presently on a charge with Mehoopany and Jenningsville.


9. Jenningsville United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: jenningsville

Address: village of Jenningsville
Municipality:
Windham township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the west end of the PA 87 bridge over the Susquehanna River, follow county 4002 west 5 miles to the village of Jenningsville.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference: Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
Methodist work in this area dates from the 1850s.  The church building was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day in 1882.  The congregation has generally been a part of the Mehoopany charge for its entire existence, but it did have its own pastor and parsonage for a while in the late 1880s and early 1890s.  The fellowship hall was purchased in 1902. It is presently on a charge with Mehoopany and Forkston.


10. Lake Winola United Methodist Church

 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: lake_winola  

Address: 326 Maple Drive
Municipality: Overfield township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
     From PA 307 in Mill City, turn east onto Maple Drive (0.25 miles north of where Buttermilk Road enters from the west).  Go 0.5 miles.  The church is one mile on the right.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This congregation and building is the result of the union of the old Mill City (class organized about 1848, first building dedicated in 1874) and Crooked Lake (or Lake Winola) (class organized in 1854, first building dedicated in 1871) congregations. It is presently on a charge with Falls.


11. Lemon United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Desktop\Lemon.JPG

Address: PA 29, village of Lemon
Municipality:
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
     From Tunkhannock, go 6 miles north on PA 29.  The church is on the left, in the south end of the village of Lemon.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This building was dedicated December 8, 1891. The church is presently on a charge with East Lemon and West Nicholson.


12. Mehoopany United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: mehoopany

Address: PA 87, town of Mehoopany
Municipality:
Mehoopany township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the intersection of U.S. 6 and PA 87 at Russell Hill, go 4 miles south on PA 87.  The church is on the left, in the town of Mehoopany.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The congregation’s first church building was dedicated June 9, 1856, and stood on the road leading south out of town.  The church in the center of the village was dedicated January 20, 1891. The church is presently on a charge with Forkston and Jenningsville.


13. Meshoppen United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Desktop\Meshoppen.2.JPG

Address: Church Street
Municipality:
borough of Meshoppen
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the traffic light at US 6 and PA 267, go 1 full block west on US 6 to Church Street.  Go south on Church Street ˝ block.  The church is on the right.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This congregation’s first building was erected in 1855 and replaced by present structure in 1905.  The education building was erected in 2000. It is presently on a charge with Russell Hill.


14. Nicholson United Methodist Church

Description: C:\Users\loyer\Pictures\2012-10-01\002.jpg

Address: 64 State Street
Municipality:
borough of Nicholson
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
State Street is PA 92.  The church is 4 blocks west of US 11.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This town’s first Methodist meetings took place in the log school house that stood near the center of the present traffic circle.  A class was formed in May 1840.  From about 1850 to 1865 the appointment was met in the school house at Thomas Hill, between Nicholson and Factoryville.  The first building church building was erected in Nicholson in 1866, by the present traffic circle.  The present structure was dedicated in 1903.


15. Noxen United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: noxen

Address: 3390 State Route 29, village of Noxen
Municipality:
Noxen township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
Noxen is of PA 29, 3 miles west of its intersection with PA 309.  The church is on the south side of the highway.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     The Noxen society had its origin in a class formed on Bowman’s Creek prior to 1840.  They met in a log school house about 1.5 miles from town, with the pastor from Centermoreland holding bi-weekly meetings on a weekday evening.  In 1883 the meetings were moved to a school house in Noxen, and the present church building was dedicated in December 1886.


16. Russell Hill United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: meshoppen

Address: US 6, community of Russell Hill
Municipality:
Washington township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is on the south side of US 6, 0.25 miles east of the intersection of US 6 and PA 87.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
    
The first building of this congregation was erected in 1855, on the road to Vosburg.  The present structure was dedicated Wednesday, November 3, 1897. It is on a charge with Meshoppen.


17. Skinners Eddy United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word\SkinnersEddy.jpg

Address: US 6, community of Black Walnut
Municipality:
Braintrim township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
The church is 5 miles west of Meshoppen, on the north side of US 6.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     Meetings were held in the vicinity of Skinners Eddy as early as 1810.  About 1812 a class was formed at the home of Joshua Keeney in Black Walnut.  The Skinners Eddy circuit was formed in 1837 and the March 4, 1837, quarterly conference resolved “that we proceed immediately to take measures to build a Methodist Episcopal meeting house at Skinners Eddy.” This was done in 1838.   Land for a new church at Skinners Eddy was purchased in 1888, and a building dedicated June 13, 1889.  That structure was used by the congregation until the present building at Black Walnut was opened for services in October 1986.


18. Tunkhannock United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: tunkannock2

Address: Church and Warren Streets
Municipality:
borough of Tunkhannock
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
     From the intersection of business US 6 and PA 29, go one block north (to Church Street) and one block west (to Warren Street).  The church is on the northeast corner of Church and Warren Streets,

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     A class was formed at a Mr. Fancher’s on the Tunkhannock Creek as early as 1802.  In 1828 there were but seven members in the class when a revival in the community added 16 more.  In 1833 Henry Stark donated to the society a lot on the corner of Bridge and Church Streets, and after several years of financial struggles a church building was finally dedicated in December 1842.  This structure was sold in the 1860’s and converted into a dwelling.  It later was destroyed by fire.  An impressive church edifice at the present site was dedicated April 10, 1869, and completely destroyed by fire on February 16, 1937.   The present building was dedicated June 19, 1939, the congregation meeting during its construction in the Court House for Sunday school and church.


19. West Nicholson United Methodist Church

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\loyer\Desktop\WestNicholson.JPG

Address: Nicholson Road, village of West Nicholson
Municipality:
Nicholson township
County:
Wyoming
State:
PA

Directions:
    
From the intersection of US 6 and PA 92 in Nicholson, go 3 miles west on PA 92 to county route 1011 (Nicholson Road) at Starkville.  Go 3 miles north on county route 1011 through the village of West Nicholson.  The church is on the left.

Historic Conference:
    
Wyoming Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church

Brief History:
     This congregation was organized in 1850 and erected the first church building in Nicholson township in 1854. It is on a charge with East Lemon and Lemon.